Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Aa Update on the Great Cucumber Beetle War

  I have officially won the Cucumber Beetle war this summer and I thought that I would pass on what I have learned.  First of all the beetles follow the scent of the plant so that anything you can do to mask the scent of your yummy garden plants will work. This could be marigolds, fennel, lemon balm, nasturtiums, dill, etc. You can even spray your plants with diluted witch hazel or even perfume. The second consideration is to plant these plants before you plant the garden vegetables. If you take an open garden and put your sweet little seedling in there without any protection it can be eaten to the ground by these buggers overnight. The third consideration I would mention is to grow Butternut squash. It seems to be very hard against the beetles. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment