Friday, May 16, 2014

More Sprouting Success

   I have had great success using Byron's Sprouting Method using Camomile Tea. I have 6 year old heirloom seeds that I was unsure about. They are well past their prime. Here is the method that I have used:

1) Make a cup to Camomile Tea by letting it seep for 4 minutes.
2) Drink tea.
3) Use the same tea bag to make a second cup of tea by letting it seep for 4 minutes again.
4) Add 3 cups of water to dilute the tea making a total of 1 quart.
5) Soak seeds in tea solution for about 2 hours.
6) Saturate a few paper towels with the tea solution.
7) Place seeds in a line one by one without touching each other on the paper towel.
8) Roll up the paper towel and place in a ziplock bag.
9) Place in refrigerator for about 8 hours.
10) Take the paper towels out of the ziplock bag and lay them on a cookie sheet in a roll.
11) Cover cookie sheet with plastic wrap.
12) Place on top of refrigerator.

    In 3 days I had 7 out of the 8 varieties of seeds sprout. I am still holding out hope for the last one. Some seeds just take longer. The tea inhibits the growth of fungus. This is a very thrifty method as well as an effective one. A used tea bag is such less expensive than a product like Miracle Grow. The refrigeration is supposed to help break the dormancy. This may not be exactly Byron's Method but it is as close as I can figure out and it is working. I then plant the sprouted seeds in a seedling tray. Thank you Byron wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment