Friday, May 23, 2014

The Impossible Errand List

     It is the end of the school year, the end of the month and my husband has been traveling a lot. I could tell that a list in my mind was growing. I needed to return shoes that didn't fit to one store, a broken cable for a refund to another, a replacement zipper for mending, the copy store- you know those little errands. I felt the mounting pressure. I didn't see how I could get these all done. I thought that I just might have to take a day when my husband got back and drive around doing dumb errands. Or my worse thought was that some of them just might not get done. I hate that because then it is just like losing money. I could get $20 just for bringing the cable back to the Apple Store because we are part of their Apple Care program. I could get $25 for bringing my son's shoes to Target and returning them because they didn't fit. I bought them without him because they were on sale. I could tell that the person waiting for the new zipper was impatient because I found the sweatshirt in the garbage. I took this as a hint that I was taking too long. I am sure that you have had similar lists.
    I decided to write down everything that I needed to do in what I called in my mind "The Impossible Errand List". Well much to my surprise I started to see that the errands- because the list was so long-could be grouped. Some of my errands could be done at the same store and some the same area of town. Encouraged, I organize everything I needed to accomplish the list- the shoes, cable, sweatshirt, coupons, library books, tuba- Oh yes I told you this list was impossible! I made a plan working around two music lessons and a trip to the library and set off with four of my children. I wasn't sure how far we would get but I wanted to try. Miraculously we did it! The whole list! I calculated that we saved a least $150 by doing them. When we came home I made homemade frosties to celebrate. The kids looked a little wilted. It did take a little longer that I anticipated because they were having so much fun shoe shopping at Target's 70% off rack. Next time I will pack some drinks and snacks in the car to keep up our strength. This weekend my family can do something fun together instead of the "Impossible Errand List".


 

No comments:

Post a Comment